Saturday, 11 November 2017

Upgrading In The Kitchen

Our kitchen is well past best, but it's going to be a fair old while before we get a new one. I think even the bathroom is going to be second priority (if we can find someone to do the job) as the boiler is playing up again, I had a very cold shower today!

Anyway, and ignoring all the arguments that if we didn't spend money on frippery we'd be able to afford these things more quickly, we headed off to TK Maxx for a look around. We don't buy things from there all that often as I generally can't face all the poking about, but today we crossed a few things off our shopping list. 


Sleepy juice. I am not a great sleeper, never have been but the combination of Tisserand Sweet Dreams oil and sea sounds helps a lot. I paid £4.99 for these two roll ons, at the chemist I pay around £4 for just one, so very happy. I have no idea whether aromatherapy actually works, but I do associate this fragrance with being sleepy so it's the same thing really. 

Earlier in the day we had decluttered four mugs, three to the charity bag and one to the garden crock box as the handle was broken. Two of the charity ones were novelty mugs from MIL a while ago - you know the type "If I had enough coffee I could rule the world". We wanted two mugs to go with the two we already have (mine's the blue one).



The new ones are the same size, they're just far away. £6.99 each, bargain!

We don't own an oven glove after Dan destroyed the one we had in a fit of I've been burned through this rubbish oven glove rage, so we've been using a silicone pot mat thing for the past wee while. These mitts have silicone stripes on them, should do the trick.


Ideal for my little hands, and they have a hangy hole. 

Finally, I had melted one too many of my 19p Ikea plastic utensils so I replaced them, this item was way down the list, but as we spotted a bamboo set for just £3.99 I dragged it to the top. Before - 


After - 


No, not finally! Dan picked up a dustpan and brush. 


It's made from recycled plastic and wood pulp, the jagged edge is to clean the bristles of the brush, genius idea! £3. We spent £33 in total and have something to help us work, rest and play*! Plus it took my mind off the shoddy state of the kitchen, bathroom, boiler, windows, garage, living room ceiling... 

*sleep

16 comments:

  1. More grown-up purchases! You're on a roll. I do like the mugs. I think you feel about your house the way I feel about mine, so this week I am finally setting about decorating the front porch in the hope it will spur me on to sort out the inside once I can figure out where to start. 😆 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I feel like a very fancy lady now!

      Good luck with the porch :)

      Delete
  2. I could do with some of those little roll ons to try I have real trouble sleeping. I have some bamboo utensils they are very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are worth a try, even if you get no other benefit they do smell nice!

      Delete
  3. I love finding those little bits and pieces and swapping out some old stuff. Sometimes the bigger things that need attention are just too big and pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. We have been holding our breath for such a long time it feels great to have some actually new things from a proper shop! Replacing the roof last year took all our bathroom money plus some of the emergency fund, so it's taken to this point to get the savings back up to the same level. We've spent quite a lot on the car this year and we know the saving won't stop with the bathroom as so many other things need to be dealt with, a few minor upgrades have taken a lot of the pressure away.

      Delete
  4. I love a good mooch around TK Maxx once in a while, but if I go in I have to be prepared to spend some money, as I can always find things I like.

    On the sleeping front, the best thing I've found for those nights I can't sleep are Dr Bach's Rescue Night Pearls/Melts. I've just finished my first packet so bought another on eBay. Within minutes of taking one I fall asleep. Completely natural and just plain amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've found a product that works for you, I had a look but they're not suitable for vegans, maybe they sell a liquid that does the same job, I'll look some more, thank you.

      I don't think we expected to find anything when we went out, we mainly went as Dan has been a bit under the weather and just needed to get out of the house for a while. There were some very nice things there, but I'm glad my head was turned by the practical things.

      Delete
  5. Everything you bought was carefully chosen and will be used with great satisfaction. Sometimes, we all need a little bit of spending to make life fliw more smoothly. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you're quite right. I had to look up what the spoon with the hole in is for, so now risotto is on the menu!

      Delete
  6. The SO loves TK Maxx but I just get fed up sifting through the dross. BUT I did pick up an enormous saute pan a few years ago for a couple of pounds and it is still going strong. Sometimes the little things that you want have more impact than the big buys that you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky as our new store is quite small, so I just avoided the clothing and headed straight upstairs to the homewares, made the trip far more manageable.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE TK Maxx for the bargains you can get in the home department!! I'm tempted to try some of those aromatherapy roll ons as I sometimes have struggles sleeping. The Le Creuset (AALALALL, can't spell!) mugs are super. We have some lovely olive wood utensils we picked up in TK Maxx- I am always a bit scared of plastic ones!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the plastic ones since I was a student, when there was no point at all having nice things, the bamboo ones should be good though.

      Delete
  8. Aroma therapy works!! I use lavender to help with my migraines. Rubbed on certain areas it takes them away like a shot. Mind you I have to do so before they get too bad or it is in to the hospital for a shot and a massive sleep.

    Love the mugs.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to know. How wonderful that you have such a simple treatment available to you too, giving you a chance of avoiding more serious medication.

      Delete