Monday, 6 November 2017

Updating

We were chatting about something and nothing last week when Dan suggested it was time for a bit of updating. Much as I would like to disagree with him, he is right, there are a few things about the place that are worn out and past their best but we've not done anything about them due to saving for other things. 

I was a bit surprised when the first thing on his hitlist was cutlery. Ours doesn't all match, we bought our 16 piece set (Viners Gresham) when we were first together back in 2001 and things like matching soup spoons didn't matter, and if someone came round for a meal it would almost certainly have been delivered from the pizza place or kebab shop anyway. 

The weird thing is that when he mentioned it I cleaned the stuff we have and realised I still really quite like it, it's very simple, mismatched soup spoons or not. I did look online for spares, but we're in that weird situation where it would be almost as cheap to buy a whole new set than to buy four spoons and a dinner knife - one of ours is bent after someone used it to ease open a jar.

Dan also bought a new backpack for cycling to work, it has been so stressful watching him attempting to cram everything into a teeny bag that now he has a large and very bright one my morning is far more relaxed. 

Fast forward to yesterday when we received an email from the bathroom fitter. The bathroom is off as he's injured himself at work and doesn't know when, if ever, he'll be back. I feel so sorry for him, he sounded devastated. 

There was nothing we could do about that yesterday, so we got on with a few other upgrades on our list. There is so much that needs to be done with the house but Dan started with filling the green bin with garden waste, that helped us feel a bit better, then we tackled some of the simple things on the house shopping list.


A dish drainer, not quite as exciting as the new bin, but it makes so much difference to the kitchen, our old drainer was black, and very bulky by comparison. We also replaced some tea towels that were more hole than towel, one of them was reduced when we got to the till *hooray* and we used another of our £3 off £20 vouchers which took some of the pain away from having to make such mundane purchases. Plus we had coupons worth £3 to scan, we're saving that credit up for some unknown purpose. 

I also wrote a to-do list for today, then did as much of it yesterday as I could, doing tomorrow's list today is good, doing it on the day is something I avoid!

18 comments:

  1. You're doing proper grown-up shopping. I did some a while back (need to do much more) and I never thought I'd see the day when I got so excited about new tea-towels! 😃
    Sorry to read about your bathroom fitter. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know, it's strangely satisfying, and although I don't enjoy paying out for them I do think it's good to enjoy the things we use every day.

      Delete
  2. It's those little things that perk a person up. I love your new dish drainer. Can I ask what the roller bar is for on the handle?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. The roller bar is just a decorative thing.

      Delete
  3. My kitchen hand towels were becoming very ratty a while ago and while rootling round the towels I pulled out a burgundy bathsheet that hadn't seen the light of day for over a year. scissors and half an hour with the overlocker and I now have a good pile. They have been finished with white thread but it doesn't bother me. New they would have been £2, each at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, it would have taken more than half an hour to nip out to buy some too, so you saved time, money and resources, what could be better?

      Delete
  4. What a shame about the new bathroom-hope your fitter recovers soon. I like a day when lots of small things done make a big difference. For me, today was a day for putting things back in their right place ( mainly crafty bits) as they had migrated all over the house. I'm having three friends over for a sewing session and at least this time there is a hall carpet! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame, I wish him well, but he didn't sound confident about a full recovery.

      I know what you mean about the wandering craft items, it always feels great to get them put away.

      Delete
  5. I really like that drying rack actually.

    https://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzie, it was just from Sainsbury's.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes a few new touches lift a tired space. That is a very nice dishdrainer. I love my new teatowels that i bought recently but was a bit disappointed to find they were very long but a bit stingy on the width - the previous ones I bought from TKMax a couple of years ago were much better - I find teatowels are a bit hit and miss or I am too particular about them! Sorry about your bathroom sounds a bit like the story of our lives here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it doesn't take much outlay to make things work a lot better and perk things up.

      I know what you mean about tea towels being a bit hit and miss, they need to do the job they were bought for!

      Delete
  7. I now have new dishrack envy! I've been going to get one for ever but keep putting it off as more important things have needed money! Maybe I'll treat the sink to a new one at Christmas!! Or wait for the household wares sales they do every January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean. We have been putting off buying certain things for the house for years, things get pushed to the bottom of the list as there's so much to do here.

      Delete
  8. I've been updating some of our household items in the last year or so and it does feel very satisfying when you find just the right thing to fit with your lifestyle and aesthetic. I'm just about done now in the kitchen and have now turned my attention to the living/dining room. Here, the upgrades are a lot more expensive, i.e. new sofa covers £300, new stereo lid/cover £40, shelving for a collection of ceramics £?, so I'll have to get saving and searching for solutions, but it will be great when I've managed to realise these goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, not everything is about function is it. I think we came to a bit of a realisation about the house when we were at home so much during the summer - we'd been going out all the time to avoid the fact that the house was a bit of a dump!

      Delete
  9. We treated ourselves to a drainer and a kitchen bin from Wilko the other day - we felt dead grown up. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who feels a bit grown up buying these things!

      Delete