Monday, 13 November 2017

Sneak Peek

 After being more than a little stressed about it I had an idea about how to get started with the Victorian themed window, so I headed to the charity shop this morning to do the groundwork. The volunteer working today was someone I know has been involved with big windows like this before, so we had a chat about it and she offered to loan me a dress she made for a do she attended a few years ago. What a relief, that's the big show stopper we needed. 

My middle of the night idea for the other models (we're having three) was to use the large rolls of fabric we have for sale at the moment to fashion a skirt and use some other things I knew were in the shop plus some things I had a home to create a full outfit. 

The only slight negative about the day was when a manager visiting from another shop made a comment that I shouldn't be hacking all the stock to pieces just for a window. I politely pointed out to her that all items were bought and paid for and I had, in fact, owned them for quite some months. Thankfully my manager stepped in and commented that we are very committed to our roles and often go above and beyond, which was very nice of him. 

The two outfits I put together are hiding in the back room until Wednesday when they will be fluffed and primped properly, these pictures are a sneak peak of a very rough cut. Without further ado - 


The choker is a place holder until I can hopefully find something else. The jacket I think looks great and was for sale in the shop. The blouse is actually a part of the top I've chopped up to use as part of my doodle. 


You can just make out the lace and beading, the collar of the "blouse" is actually one of the sleeves pulled over and pinned in place. Outfit two - 


The beaded collar is made from a broken necklace of mine with a pendant and earrings added as embellishments.


The blouse is a modern one with a ruffle front, covered with a capelet I made from a skirt off the 99p rail (not visible) and finished off with a faux fur stole.

By no means authentic, I don't think it's too bad for a couple of hours in a freezing cold shop! 

12 comments:

  1. Looks good, looking forward to seeing the rest. I'm hoping to go on a visual merchandising training day later this month. Should be fun as we're taking over and remodelling a whole shop in a different part of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      We don't have anything like merchandising training, I would love to do that! We just have to make things up as we go along and hope for the best. Enjoy remodelling the new shop, it sounds amazing!

      Delete
  2. I think you did very well. Jet was used a great deal in jewellery during Victorian times (from what I have read) and the pieces you are concocting look very authentic.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I looked at lots of pictures online so hoped the beaded collar would work out. I still don't think we can compete with the fancy shop that has professional window dressers, but we'll have done our best and I'm happy with that.

      Delete
  3. The high necked blouse, the jet jewellery, dark colours...I think you've got all the bases covered there for the era!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The first two models are in the window now, and I have to say it looks great!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love those jet black beads. Think you've done a wonderful job on the displays.

    https://lizziedailyblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie, it's coming together nicely, which is a relief.

      Delete