Friday, 7 July 2017

Painted Nails

Recent changes have been small, as changes often are. 

I've started wearing nail polish, only on my toes at this point for practical reasons. I hadn't used it for years because there was no point, but then I thought do things differently and splashed out £3.99 on a bottle of Barry M Blue Glacier metallic gloop. I love it. It must have had an effect on me as I bought a new phone this week and it turns out I chose one in the same colour.

Speaking of which, I had a reasonably basic phone because there was no point in having anything fancier. I now have a fancier one and can do things with it. I mean, the main thing I'm doing with it is sending everyone pictures of Ron Swanson via Telegram, but it's a fun thing to do. Anything can be pointless or meaningful depending on the meaning I ascribe to it and fun is as good a reason to do something as anything else. 

I got rid of the junk drawer, in the past I'd found it useful for holding things I needed but didn't always want to put away "properly". When I opened the drawer it just contained things I didn't want to deal with. My "favourite" Christmas decoration that had broken a few years earlier and I hadn't repaired - packs of cards and other trinkets people had given to me, old batteries that never made it to the tip, the usual bits and bobs of ife. So the pens went into the pen case, the screwdriver, tape measure and other household things went into the drawer with things like that and the rest, well most of it was recycled or went into the bin.

So much of my clutter these days was just stuff I didn't want to deal with, because it made me feel bad that it was going to end up in the bin, so if I kept it I wasn't being wasteful and "not green". Or they were things that had a home, so it didn't really matter if they just hung around the place because as my mum would say "they're not eating anything". Again, as I have said so many times, often the things I was getting rid of were things I hadn't bought myself and so they had meaning for someone else but not for me.

We decided to get rid of some vintage plates that had belonged to Dan's Grandmother, they were chipped or crazed so we would never have used them, we ended up with them because Dan's Dad didn't want to have to deal with them so he passed the problem along. The best of them have been kept for use as soap dishes and plant saucers, but the rest have gone. I have repeatedly put my foot down about people giving me things, but it's just the way my family are, they won't change and I don't expect them to. The main difference now is that they can't expect to see that stuff when they come to visit, and they can deal with their feelings about it.  

And so by the end of Monday there was an empty drawer and two empty cupboards in the kitchen, with no other areas seeming any more cramped. Then I thought about the wine glasses we had been keeping hold of, I hate wine so soon after I had a third empty cupboard. 



14 comments:

  1. My folks pass things on that they cant deal with, I used to take it and then wonder what to do with it too! Now I say no thanks, I think they find that even harder to deal with. their latest potential 'gift' is a car. We dont want/need/like it but my Dad can't deal with the 'getting rid off' anything so.... but not our problem and I wont let it become our problem. And as for painted nails (mine are a deep shade of blue at the moment) ... but wait til you paint them all different colours - it almost feels as 'risque' as walking out without underwear on! But shhhh don't tell my folks (hehehehe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I think people do find it harder when a kind offer is declined.

      Multi nails are next on my list, you make it sound so exciting!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You're brutal with your decluttering. You're on a roll. Tell Dan not to stand still for too long. 😉 I love to have bright painted toe nails too, especially in Summer. Blue Glacier sounds fab. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get started there's no messing about!

      Delete
  3. I think that is a very good idea about the plates. People often give me things because they know I feel guilty about things being chucked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've written before about the lengths you go to to recycle and I understand just what you mean. I can tie myself in knots trying to make sure everything is recycled in just the right way. Luckily I found out this week that we are selling books to the rag man now, so I can take books that are in bad condition to the shop to be pulped (or whatever they do with them) rather than them being chucked away.

      Delete
  4. I am slowly but surely ridding my home of clutter as well. Some months are better than others, but every month I make sure that something leaves my home. Our oldest son seems to enjoy buying me thimbles but as Harvey made me a display case I am willing to accept them. I so hope no one else buys us anything we can not use or something we do not want.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it far easier to declutter now than I did in the past. I think all progress is good, no matter how slowly it goes, so you're doing well and making headway. Having a display case for your thimbles is a good thing as then it's a proper collection, rather than just a mass of ornaments.

      Delete
  5. Every kitchen I have ever had has had a junk drawer, but you are so right most of the stuff in there is stuff that I don't want to deal with. I need to toughen up a little, although I did get rid of a lot of stuff prior to moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always those little bits and bobs aren't there. I used to think that the junk drawer was an efficient thing to have, but the way I have things set up now it's not needed. I just needed to take the time to sort through it - of course when I did it took no time at all!

      Delete
  6. Nice to have a couple of empty cupboards. What a luxury to look in there and see nothing. I'd love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice. When we eventually (in the very distant future) have a new kitchen fitted I'll be losing a bit of cupboard space so having empty cupboards now will prepare me for that.

      Delete
  7. My junk drawer is a resting place for small bits of hardware and household items that belong elsewhere. I need to do a little project and store all that stuff properly.

    What is your alcoholic drink of choice (if any)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My junk drawer was the same, but I think I must have got into the swing of putting things away as I was more likely to head to the garage when needing tools etc than the junk drawer, maybe I'm learning!

      I tend to be a beer drinker, I enjoy fruit beers.

      Delete