Wednesday, 14 June 2017

What We Ate June - Week 2

I actually forgot to take photographs of most of our food last week for some reason, but it featured a lot of veg. We spent more on plants and garden things last week than we did on food, I think it was all good value for money though, hopefully one day the weather will play along and we can combine eating and being outside, who knows!


obligatory stirfry/ cous cous salad 

spicy rice - the plan had been to make jollof rice but we were so hungry we didn't wait for it to be dry and delicious!/ baked onion bhajis

I don't make them all that often for some reason, but I love these baked onion bhajis - recipe here. They're easy to make and because they're baked they don't use too much oil. 

dhal/ roast squash cakes

The oven was in use on Saturday so i roasted the squash then realised I had no plans for it, so decided to adapt this recipe for Yotam Ottolenghi's sweet potato cakes, it worked really well and I will make them again, very tasty and a little messy, lovely with some spicy chutney.

I am learning to love my new blender and I admit it is good for smoothies, I'm having them a fair bit as I've started exercising again, so I can blitz up oats, fruits, flaxseed and other goodies without any grittiness. The food processor is more powerful than my old one so houmous and pastes are very smooth now, lovely. 

The other small change of the week is that I have switched one of my shifts at the shop to a morning rather than doing two afternoons, it started as a temporary thing but I've decided I'd rather get it over and done with in the morning, freeing up time for me to have a walk in the afternoon, go shopping or just do the other little bits and bobs that crop up during the week. We'll see how it goes. 



12 comments:

  1. Love the food photos, and thanks for the links. I now have some new sources for recipe hunting. I will be trying the baked onion bahjis with a chickpea curry tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the jeenaskitchen bog has some great recipes and ideas. Hope you enjoy the bhajis!

      Delete
  2. Your photos always inspire me... so many different and interesting vegetarian flavours! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I think it's easy to get into a rut as I use a lot of the same ingredients all the time but it doesn't take much to shake it up a bit.

      Delete
  3. It all looks really tasty, I love the sound of the roast squash cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The squash cakes were really nice, I will certainly make them again.

      Delete
  4. Hello I just found your blog yesterday and spent last night reading through lots of posts. I'm vegan but my husband isn't, one child vegetarian and one child a meat eater. This all makes more work and mealtimes more expensive than need be, I'm loving your food round ups, I do make a sweet potato dhal that my husband does love. I really like the look of your baked onion bhajis. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for nipping in.

      Wow, you must have to really have your thinking cap on when it comes to meal times. The onion bhajis are lovely, they're light and not stodgy at all.

      Delete
  5. That looks far too healthy! Eating outside - can't wait - I have the parasol and fairy lights all poised just waiting on those warm summer evenings - oh and the Citronella candles and midge spray too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll have to add something less wholesome next week!

      Hmmm, we don't have any outdoor lights, that's something to think about.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recipe for the baked onion bhajis - I love bhajis and homemade ones but I hate the hassle of deepfrying them, I'll have to try this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep frying always puts me off too, hope you enjoy them!

      Delete