Sunday, 11 June 2017

Not Even A Cupboard

Just a hole where a cupboard should be.

Yes, there has been more house poking (you have been spared the details of the porch reorganisation). I may have mentioned several dozen times that my kitchen is a bit rickety, especially here. Under the breakfast bar/ island/ whatever it is there is a gap where a cupboard should be, you'd think it might be space for an under counter fridge, but there's no electrical socket so I think the previous owner just left a cupboard at the DIY shop or something and couldn't be bothered to go back for it. 

This gap usually houses hay or recycling, but now it is something far more useful to me. 


I was thinking I could buy a bookcase but then just repurposed the wooden box of kitchen bits as a handy cookbook shelf. Before this the books were above the oven and not easy for me to get to, now I have no excuses. We are in the realm of form follows function but with a kitchen as unattractive as mine it really doesn't matter! It also meant I gave everything a quick once over before storing it again and so far I've found 12 magazines to stick into the recycling.


Garden progress continues too, we chopped lots of overhanging branches at the back of the garden - our neighbour can't see them anyway and created more headroom and lots more light - we'll appreciate that should the sun ever shine again. Plants have been moved around, things that fell in the wind have been tied up and just general garden things. 

After this weekend of domestic joy we have an unexpected evening out. Dan entered a competition on social media and won two tickets to see St Etienne (the band) in Manchester tonight. We have petrol, parking is only £3.50 so it's not too much of an expense for something a little different. 

10 comments:

  1. Have a great night out at the concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a lot of fun and a very nice venue.

      Delete
  2. St Etienne - we have been listening to them lately! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not really my cup of tea, but Dan likes them very much. It was an excellent show though, they were great live and the atmosphere had something magical about it.

      Delete
  3. Have a great evening. I think you deserve it after all your hard work. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the hole was the 'Dog house'!
    You sound to have been busy (I like your bookshelf) so I hope you enjoyed the concert and the break from all the jobs. After my 4 days of intense decluttering and sorting I am even too exhausted to go out - rather enjoying myself just sitting on the settee watching an episode of Vera and giving my feet a rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know what you mean, decluttering is a really worthwhile activity but it can be so tiring.

      Delete
  5. Its amazing how much clutter we have collected in such a short period of time. Good for you keeping on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes things sneak in and sometimes things just escape the chop as they're stored away and there seems no reason to disturb them!

      Delete