Wednesday, 7 June 2017

June Week One - Food

Here's a snippet of the things I made with the food I bought

houmous/ lentil ragu type thing/ garlic bread


chow mein (I went a bit spiralizer crazy)/ stuffed peppers/ l/o curry pasties

The curry used to stuff the peppers is an absolutely delicious Chana Masala from Keep It Vegan by Aine Carlin, obviously the original recipe uses delicious fresh ingredients, I didn't have them so I used things from the pantry instead.


It takes a little while to cook, but it is well worth it, it's also simple, delicious and the leftovers make the best pasty filling. I even think that if the sauce was really thick it would work amazingly well in a sandwich.


The weather took a turn for the wet and windy so our meals became a little more hearty.

green lentil and mushroom stew/ overnight oats/ ful medames with sweet potatoes (from the freezer) and pesto bread

I was really sceptical about the ful medames as I didn't enjoy the baked beans we tried the other week, I think I'm just not a fan of this particular type of bean. My stew looks nothing like the illustration I had as I wanted it a little more dry, rather than a stew type thing. I was quite surprised to find I really enjoyed it, the flavours came together really nicely. 

I think we might have something comforting tonight, the car has been at the garage overnight and today we find out the cost!

6 comments:

  1. I love ful medames! My favourite thing to do with broad beans. I wish I had the energy to make them for breakfast, but cereal or toast it is. Hodmedod's is the best x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very quickly getting the impression that my favourite thing to do with broad beans is to not eat them at all, but the dish as a whole was delicious.

      Delete
  2. I hope the car repairs aren't too expensive. As always your food looks simply delicious and so colourful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, vegetables make everything look better!

      The car is going to be a dear do, but needs must on this occasion.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully not too much of a shock when you get the car bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We have a ballpark figure and it's not pretty!

      Delete