Friday, 2 June 2017

Cover Up Job

As I've mentioned countless times the garden has been a long slog from overgrown nightmare to what we have now, especially for two not overly keen gardeners with not much of a garden budget. 

Today I was out in the rain making things better and discovering exactly how unfit I am, we went to Aldi last night to pick up some of the £1.99 bark chippings. I have no idea how much 40l of bark chippings would normally cost but £1.99 seemed not too bad. We only managed to buy five bags as I'd forgotten to take a pound coin for a trolley. As we were getting out of the car an old van started driving round the car park  - the vehicle itself was festooned with banners and slogans and a voice shouted "VOTE LABOUR". Needless to say this was in East Lancs rather than on the Fylde, not many Labour people here! 


I'm happy with progress so far, I've done most of one of the beds with a nice thick layer and have used 3 1/2 bags. As I was chucking mulch around I spotted this beauty hiding between two plants


gorgeous colours, and typically it's far bigger and more colourful than the ones in the other bed in plain view! There's also this little chap just near the compost bin


how cute! I know the picture of the mulched area doesn't seem at that impressive, but compared to the area at the back where we did all the cutting back last week it looks pretty good. 


Here's hoping for a dry-ish weekend!

16 comments:

  1. It really is starting to take shape and looking wonderful. We used to buy the bark from Lidl for about the same price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much . We removed some very overgrown trees and shrubs from this area last year, the plants are doing really well here considering how shady it is (thank you to the Carole Klein "Plants For Shade" bookazine I have for everything I know). I like a higgeldy-piggeldy garden but I think the bark makes it look like it's meant to be that way rather than just neglected.

      Delete
  2. the columbine is lovely, as is the primula(?)
    so envious of your ideal garden weather ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If I refused to garden when it rained I'd get out there even less often than I do!

      Believe it or not the red flower is a strawberry flower. It's the only flower on the whole plant but there it is for all to see.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks (not that I did anything to grow them!).

      Delete
  4. Yey, it's looking lovely! That strawberry flower is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's actually quite relaxing out there now, and still attracts lots of birds, bees and insects which is what I want.

      Delete
  5. Everything is looking so nice. I love the colours in the Columbine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking great. I was thinking I might use some bark at the bottom of my garden in front of the wall. Isn't it a good feeling to see your hard work paying off. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a good feeling, it has been so daunting, and whenever I want to do something all the books say it's the wrong time of year. Father emboldened me by encouraging me to just do what I wanted as I could just replace it should it go wrong, I've made such progress since then.

      Delete
  7. Garden is looking good, red strawberry flower that's new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have poked around in the plant to check it's not something else growing through, but it really is part of the strawberry.

      Delete
  8. that was super cheap for wood chip mulch. We recently bought loads as water retention and to smother the soil. Good spot I say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it really adds that certain something, as well as being really useful, the bed may be shady, but it's dry shade so the bark should help retain some moisture.

      Delete