Monday, 29 May 2017

May Round Up

The holiday at the start of the month has totally thrown me out. I haven't kept track of groceries or eating out this month, but I did keep hold of all non-food spending so all is not lost. 

The very start of June is a busy time for birthdays, so we've bought gifts for that, some new bedding as for the past however many years we've only had two duvet covers and they're both quite thick and hot in the summer, I had my charity shop haul and Dan needed/wanted a new shirt and tie for fancy work purposes. We also have some new kitchen appliances - a toastie machine as our broke, a coffee grinder as the one we have is pretty small so it takes ages to grind enough for the week as Dan takes a flask to work these days. Which means I also have a new spice grinder as the old coffee grinder has been passed on to me (of course I have never used it to grind spices before!). Finally there's a new food processor/blender, I'm not in love with this at the minute but I'm sure I'll get used to it. 

The food processor, toastie machine and coffee grinder were all free, we ended up with a lot of loyalty points on our Co-op card for reasons best not gone into, so we thought these things from our nice to have but low priority list would be a good way to use them. Had we used the money to pay for food then I don't think we'd have the same benefit from them, if you see what I mean. 

I keep forgetting to photograph what we've been eating, but this week everything we've eaten we've eaten twice. 



Tacos with green peppers and black eyed beans.



The obligatory stirfry, only this time with brown rice instead of noodles. Exciting! This one was sweet chilli. 



Spiralised beetroot.



Many, many crumpets, this one has a piece of lime and sea salt chocolate melted onto it. 


Falafel, mushroom and onion toastie. I can make pasties in the new toastie maker - pasties, can you imagine!

10 comments:

  1. I just love crumpets and toasted baked bean sandwiches. Sounds like you had a good month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly new to crumpets, but I do like them.

      It's been a weird month tbh, good in large parts, but I'm glad we're at the end and I can start afresh in June.

      Delete
    2. It is hard to believe it is the end of the month already. I find out how well we did budget wise tomorrow. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we did not go too overboard with yard work.

      Love crumpets toasted with lots and lots of butter.

      God bless.

      Delete
    3. Hope the budget works out for you Jackie!

      Delete
  2. I am a great fan of a crumpet and love to toast them over the stove in the winter months on a toasting fork. I love free, so great to have also Co-op points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a really lovely thing to do.

      Delete
  3. Is spiralized beetroot hard to do? Your picture makes them look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, I think I've found the beetroot easiest to do of everything I've tried, it's the ideal firmness for nice long curls.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, the beetroot is so preeeeeeeeeeettty! Which type of Spiralizer do you have? I wonder if I could do that with mine (a handheld one that is a bit like a big pencil sharpener!)
    I've never eaten crumpets with anything other than butter. Now intrigued!
    The coffee grinder for grinding spices is a GENIUS idea!!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't tend to put any exciting toppings on my crumpets but the bar of chocolate was right there on the worktop so I thought why not?

      I think the only thing with a beetroot in that kind of spiralizer (I used to have one of them but kept sharpening my finger) would be actually fitting the beetroot in, unless you had some of those long, thin beetroot instead of the traditional big fatties.

      Delete