Tuesday, 2 May 2017

April Round Up

I think the garden looks less ramshackle in the flesh
Everyone told me that the weather was going to take a turn for the worse so on Monday I took the opportunity to wash some of the quilts and get them outside to dry. Great decision, especially considering what happened next. The day took a fairly annoying turn when we had no water and had to have a plumber round, so frustrating when we're so close to getting the new bathroom, well, let's not talk about exactly how close we are to that... Having said that, according to Dan the plumber was great and he has given us lots of useful tips about the work we want to have done.

Despite my desire to spend only £100 on food this month we have spent more, but it was the lowest amount since we started tracking. I was helped out with some loyalty vouchers too, this paid for our Easter eggs and a few other treats. However, my side aim was to have a certain amount left in my household bank account at the end of the month and I have hit that goal, despite some late, unexpected, spending. I think that appeals to me because it was all about something positive, not trying to cut all the time. I'll do that again next month, although I know it's a more expensive month so the target will be half of the goal for this month. 

Dan has been cycling to work whenever he can this month too, he pays himself £2 every time he cycles so builds up a nice pot of cash when the weather is good. He doesn't mind cycling in the rain but it gets so windy here that it's just not worth it. 

A few things we ate this week



we nipped to the shop for something on Monday in order to keep washing up to a minimum so we had a falafel sandwich/ lentil bol.



mango & banana smoothie bowl with chia seeds and mixed nuts/ roast cauliflower & sweet potato soup. By Thursday we were running very low on fresh food as we hadn't been shopping so I reached into the pantry 



pitta with chickpea & butterbean patties/ baked paprika potatoes. Luckily Dan had been to Manchester for a meeting so he took a detour past V-Rev for some sweet treats from Tender Vegan Bakery. 



We shared, over two days, a chocolate lime cake, a blondie and of course a pb chocolate brownie. They were also gluten free and amazingly nice, we'll be heading back there next time we're in Manchester. 

On Sunday we headed off to Lancaster as we had free tickets to Crafty Vintage, there was nothing really there for us so we just had a hot Vimto and a bockwurst, never had one before but as it was the only vegan food available at the time I went for it and it was DELICIOUS!



Dan went for onions and mustard, I had onions and sweet chilli sauce. 

Here's to a new month!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like its been a good month. It's an expensive month for me next month too. Fingers crossed I manage to stick to my budget too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope things go well for you. I suppose I'm lucky that I have to stick to budget as I don't have a credit card or overdraft. I just save when I can and spend when I have to.

      Delete
  2. Yum, those paprika baked potatoes look gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very tasty and so simple.

      Delete
  3. Those cakes from the bakery looked amazing. Hope all is well and back to normal with the plumbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the plumbing is as it should be now, thankfully. The cakes were so good!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have had a good month - it is a full time occupation keeping the spending in check so having a sweat treat is well deserved - they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious, although it always makes me glad I haven't really got into baking as then I'd know exactly how bad for me they are!

      Tracking is good but there are times where it takes some remembering when I get home.

      Delete
    2. Of course I meant sweet treat - but maybe you did sweat a little calculating your profit and loss for the month!!

      Delete
  5. Yay for veggie hotdogs and that is so cool that you got to try cakes from V Rev. I work a few streets away so it is dangerously close and I have to limit my visits. Saying that we are going to the theatre tonight so might treat ourselves to tea there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there is real temptation to nip in for treats! Hope you enjoyed your tea if you went there, we're toying with a day out in Manchester during our time off so I'll set some money aside for a visit.

      Delete