Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Monday At Home

I was talking to my buddy Tracey last week about important world issues as we often do when she asked me to share Dan's bread making. So on Monday I forced him to make some pitta so I could see how it was done. I'm sure everyone that wants to know already knows how to do this but here it is anyway. Dan uses the Magic Bread Dough recipe from the excellent book River Cottage Veg Everyday. 

Makes 3 pizzas, 12 pitta and however many flatbreads.

250g each plain and strong white flours
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp easy blend dried yeast
1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil plus a bit extra



I am far too lazy to type all that out. I think you mix everything together, knead it for 10 minutes, leave it for a bit until it's bigger then make it into whatever you like. 



If you don't have a handy indoor rabbit pen to hold your bowls of dough then just improvise with any flat surface you may have about the place. I lifted the cloth off to have a look.



I am by no stretch of the imagination fancy enough to own a cloth-lined dough basket. While Dan was doing this I cut up some more of the original doodle as I plan to see how it looks as a patchwork piece. 



I also drank tea and ate ginger biscuits. After a long time the dough was shaped into many pieces (Dan made three batches) and cooked the pitta for 7 minutes at 220C, ten pitta come from each batch of dough.





My part in the process was to eat some!



12 comments:

  1. Lovely! It's very similar to the recipe I use for my bread. I'm so glad you were able to assist in the process. X 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread making has never been my strong point - maybe in retirement! I am better at pastry - but there again it doesn't agree with me much these days - having said that we are having a walnut and goats cheese tart tonight - I cheated with ready roll all butter puff pastry. The patchwork looks interesting it will be quite a work of art when you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily for me Dan finds breadmaking relaxing so I don't have to do it myself. I am pretty good at pastry too, although I don't make puff pastry, I just keep a sheet in the freezer.

      Delete
  3. OOOh, don't they look lovely!!! Loved your contributions to the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so nice, and are ideal for freezing, which is good as Dan doesn't often have time to make them.

      Delete
  4. Interesting, I have never made pitas, and this recipe seems super easy to follow. Thanks for sharing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like a simple recipe, as long as you have time, it makes a really delicious pizza base too.

      Delete
  5. I like the look of these so will have a go at making some, love pitta bread x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are lovely, and not just because I didn't have to make them myself!

      Delete
  6. I've never made pitta bread before, but yours and Dan's looks good :)

    ReplyDelete